Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Friday, December 7, 2012

It’s tough coping with pressures of being an actress -Linda Ejiofor

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
It's tough coping with pressures of being an actress -Linda Ejiofor
Dec 7th 2012, 23:00

Fast-rising Nollywood actress, Linda Ejiofor, speaks with ADEMOLA OLONILUA about her career

 How I became an actress

I did not plan it. I was modelling on a part time basis when I was in school. After school, I continued modeling because I am the independent type. While I was still modelling, a friend of mine told me about this audition for Tinsel, an Mnet soap opera. I told her I could not do it because my dad did not want me to become an actress though I wanted to study Theatre Arts at the University of Ibadan. I wanted to work in an office and make sure I did what he sent me to school to do. She told me that it was not that bad and that they were paying good money. She said I could always quit if I did not like it. I went home and spoke with my mother first, so she could help me to table the matter before my father. That was how I started.

First appearance on television

At first, I did not enjoy playing the character, Bimpe. I did not like her at all, I kept complaining during the first and second seasons. I just kept complaining that the girl is not fun. I referred to her as a dumb blonde. I would always complain to the writers and director that they should give me something more challenging and spicy. I said that they should make me a good girl like the other characters. They said there was something they see that I am not seeing. They said I should continue and enjoy the character. I started relaxing and began to enjoy the character. Now I love the girl. A major challenge I faced was that I did not know how to act dumb, I did not know how to act stupid, I did not know how to manipulate people. These are the characteristics of Bimpe. She is cunning, manipulative, asks stupid questions and goes about acting as if she knows everything. But she doesn't know everything. She goes about everything the wrong way. I had to watch movies and finally I became cool with the character.

My father's reaction

After I told him it was an Mnet production, he was okay with it. My mum and I had to cajole him. She told him that it was going to be aired on a DSTV channel and it was a family show. He said I should promise him I would be a good girl and keep a good name. He did not know that I was modelling in school. My mother was the one who knew I was into modelling. She knows the kind of children that she has. We are independent and like working for our money. Eventually, my father found out and he was upset. But with time, he got used to the whole thing.

Growing up

We are five children. I am the second child and first daughter. I am supposed to be close to my dad. As a child, I was on the quiet side. I was not really mischievous. I grew up in Lagos. After primary school in Lagos, I attended Federal Government Girls College, Onitsha. I think that is where I got my independence. At first, when I was in JSS1-3, I used to cry a lot and tell my parents that I wanted to go home. By the time I got to the senior class, I was okay with it. I had fun and from there, I went to the University of Port Harcourt. I purposely put it in my JAMB form because I wanted to go somewhere far. I graduated from UNIPORT and went to Jigawa State for my National Youth Service programme. It was there I was invited for the audition for Tinsel. After that, I appeared in my first full-length film entitled, 'The Meeting', which has just been premiered and is currently showing in the cinemas.

Coping with stardom

It is overwhelming, but I am doing my best. The disadvantage is that I cannot go to certain places. You are conscious of many things, such as your hairdo and what clothes to wear. You have to wear make-up. There are many other restrictions. I did not know it was going to be like this, but I thank God I have a wonderful team and they are quite helpful.

Old friends

I still relate with most of my old friends. The ones I relate with still complain that I don't spend much time with them. I don't respond to their text messages, mails and I tell them not to be angry because I am always busy on set or somewhere else. When I get home, I am always tired and I go to sleep immediately. I wake up at 5 am and I am off to the set again. I think most of my friends are trying to understand this and the others don't.

Nudity in Nollywood movies

Personally, if you are comfortable with it and your spouse and family have no problem with it then you can go ahead. I am not judging.

From soap opera to full-length movie

 At first it was confusing. It was difficult because a soap opera is a multi-camera shoot while the movie is a one-camera shoot. For the soap opera, I have acted the part of a  character called Bimpe and rehearsed it for over four years. I don't even rehearse before going on set anymore. All I do is to read my lines or my script. The lines are in my head because I already know how she is going to act, what facial expression she is going to use and if she will use her hands to make gestures. When I was in Rita Dominic's movie, it was totally different. We had to do a lot of takes. It was a one-camera shoot movie. For the movie, you had to know the character very well and impress the director. They are totally different experiences.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...