Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ajimobi breached our agreement, Tokyo insists

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
Ajimobi breached our agreement, Tokyo insists
Dec 18th 2012, 23:15

Embattled Chairman, National Union of Road Transport Workers in Oyo State, Alhaji Lateef Akinsola (a.k.a Tokyo), said Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State reneged on his promise to reinstate him as the union chairman after he contributed “in cash and kind” to aid his emergence as governor in the April 2011 poll.

Following the dissolution of the union's executive, Ajimobi inaugurated a caretaker committee to oversee the affairs of the union in the state, pending the election of new state union leaders.

Akinsola on Tuesday in an exclusive interview with our correspondent in his Ibadan residence, described the step as breach of justice.

He hinted that he was persuaded by the late leader of the ACN in the state, Alhaji Lam Adesina, and the Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Arisekola Alao to campaign for Ajimobi during electioneering.

He said, “My relationship with the progressive dates back to many years. I supported late Lam Adesina against the Peoples Democratic Party in 1999. I also supported Ajimobi and other elected officials of the ACN in cash and kind in the last elections. I got 15 Imams to pray for 30 days for Ajimobi's victory at the poll.

“I cannot estimate the amount I spent on the whole. I asked Ajimobi to give us money to mobilise my people but he merely asked me to pull my weight with a promise to ensure that I am reinstated as the NURTW Chairman. I mobilised my loyalists in the transport union, the mechanics and market women to vote for the ACN.”

Tokyo who surrendered himself recently for interrogation on the invitation of the Oyo State Police Command, said, “I was moved from Eleyele Police Division to Iyaganku where I was quizzed by three Assistant Commissioners of Police and two other officers. Having been set free, I am no longer on the police wanted list.

“All I am asking for is the implementation of court orders for my reinstatement as chairman of the union. I want justice. I tendered evidence that I was not part of the violence and blood-letting at the Iwo Road Interchange last year.

“All I want is to complete my three-year tenure as chairman. To realise the ambition, I shall only toe the path of justice. I am not in support of violence.”

When contacted to react to Akinsola's claim, the Special Adviser to the governor on Media, Dr. Festus Adedayo, said, “I beg of you, don't let us take this Tokyo thing to a ridiculous level, because there is no logic in the allegation. “Are you saying that a tout financed the election of a former Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and former Managing Director of a multi-national oil corporation?”

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...