Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Saturday, December 22, 2012

‘It’s easier making men’s clothes than women’s’

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
'It's easier making men's clothes than women's'
Dec 22nd 2012, 23:00

Seyi Obayanju was a banker. He is now into men's clothing and runs a clothing store and factory in Lagos. In this interview, he talks about the transition from banking to fashion

Q: After 16 years as a banker, what pushed you into the clothing business?

A: Banking is an industry that is known for constant competition in fashion. Everybody wants to look good.  I know that as a banker in those days, banks organised regular competitions where awards were given to the best dressed staff.   In that kind of environment, everybody has to talk fashion.   When the industry was booming, some even took loans to buy clothes.  But personally, I have always loved looking good, people get drawn to the way I dress and that's how I sell my brand, S.W.O.B.

Q: How long have you been doing this?

A: 16 years.

Q: Over the years you must have witnessed a lot of changes in trends?

A: Yes.   There was a time we were doing baggy, then everybody wanted to wear bogus stuff but now everything has changed, these days, people want to wear tighter clothes.

Q: What do you think is the reason for this?

A: Well, we are talking about trends, it keeps changing. I remember Fela wore fitted trousers then.  There was a time we were doing boot cut, nobody does boot cut now everybody wants straight pants and skinny.

Q: Would you say the western runway has had a lot of  influence on the fashion industry in Nigeria?

A: Yes.  The West dictates the trend.  But as a designer, I would  express myself in my own unique way  because I have a message which I want to pass across, I  just work out something that would suit my clients.

Q: In the past, women were crazy about fashion but things are different now. Men are also popping colours.

A: The fashion sense of the modern man is something else. I agree with you, men are keeping up with current fashion, you can just imagine a guy wearing an orange blazer! The practice is a deviation from the past where creativity in fashion was seen as a woman's thing.  Nowadays, men are very much into the fitted dress trend, even the ones who are potbellied want fitted outfit!  What we do for them is that we sew the fitted suit in such a way that it covers the stomach somehow. But whatever happens, men will always be men. They may pop colour as you say; but they don't take it to the extreme, they are just interested in being smart and nice.

Q: As a clothier, what is your own individual style and favourite fashion accessory?

A: Smart, gorgeous, it could be simple but it has to be gorgeous.   My favourite fashion accessory? Maybe shoes, I love good shoes. No, I don't really do labels, it is not as if I don't have some but I am not so keen about them. I am not an extremist, I do everything in moderation.

Q: In this era of colours, in what ways do you pop colours for men?

A: In accessories, like shoes and ties.

Q: What shoe trends are we looking at this season?

A: The trend for the season revolves around the classic, and virtually all the designers do them. Classic would always be classic. All these young guys would say if it is not that one they would not wear.

Q: How do you relax?

A: With my family. Also, anytime I travel for business it is a time for me to relax.  Other than that, I don't hang out because I am a workaholic. Most times, once I leave the factory, I go home to my wife and kids.  Sometimes though, we go for a family holiday together, maybe once a year.

Q: Your wife is a clothier also?

A: No. my wife is a farmer. She is into poultry farming. She was even a banker; she just left her banking job. It is fantastic, we started two years ago.

Q: How do you discuss your profession with each other?

A: We are in it together, we do everything together. She has everything a guy wants from a woman.

Q: What do you do about stocks of clothes that have been overtaken by new trends?

A: I don't do ready-to-wear, it is only when you do that you have that challenge.

Q: Do you make clothes for women?

A: I do but not like before. I just felt I was dissipating my energy. Men stuff is my area of strength, now I do 30 percent women and 70 percent men. 

Q: Is it true that male customers are easier to deal with?

A: When I dealt with women, I did not have problem, but what I did not like was the amount of time I spent on women's clothes. I am always particular about the finishing and it took me more time to make female clothes than making men's clothes.

Q: What is your background? How was growing up?

A: I am from Ondo State, the first of seven children. My father had one wife and ours was a close knit Christian family.

 

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...