Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Monday, December 24, 2012

Inter’s Chivu snubs Romania return

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
Inter's Chivu snubs Romania return
Dec 25th 2012, 00:00

Internazionale defender Cristian Chivu has refused to come out of international retirement to help Romania in next year's 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

"I was clear and concise two years ago and I do not know why every time I have to repeat the same thing," Chivu, capped 75 times, told local media on Monday.

The versatile 32-year-old defender, who joined Inter from Roma for a reported fee of 16m euros in 2007, quit the national team in May last year, saying that age and injuries were behind his decision.

This month, however, Romania coach Victor Piturca said he was planning to meet Chivu in Milan before Christmas or at the beginning of 2013, to try to persuade him to end his international exile.

"I miss the national team but I will not return," Chivu added. "The team can do without me, I liked how they played in Turkey (when Romania beat Turkey 1-0 in a world qualifier in October)."

Chivu has just recovered from a toe injury and played in Inter's 2-0 win over Verona in a Coppa Italia last-16 match on Tuesday and the 1-1 draw with Genoa on Saturday, his only appearances this season.

Romania are third in World Cup qualifying Group D with nine points from four matches, three behind leaders the Netherlands.

They have not qualified for the World Cup finals since 1998, will resume their campaign in March with a much-anticipated visit to second-placed neighbours Hungary, who also have nine points.

Chivu has said he wants to stay at the Serie A club for the rest of his career.

"My future? At Inter!" the 32-year-old, capped 75 times by the Balkan country, was quoted as saying in Romanian media. "At least I hope so, if they don't get rid of me!

"I'm joking, I'm happy, really happy here and the club is happy with me," added Chivu, who can play as a central defender, left back and defensive midfielder. "I'll finish my career here."

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...