Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Saturday, December 15, 2012

I’m not a label freak — Tessy Jibodu

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
I'm not a label freak — Tessy Jibodu
Dec 15th 2012, 23:00

Background

My name is Tessy Jibodu, Chief Operating Officer,  Zaris Fashion and Style Academy. I am from Delta State but   I have lived in Lagos for the major part of my life.  I attended the Command Secondary School, Ipaja, read Industrial Design at Yaba College of Technology and was at the London College of Fashion and Style. I have worked in the fashion industry for 20 years.

Growing up

I just found out that as an eight-year-old, I could draw. It is a natural skill and people always wondered what my future would look like with all the drawings. It is something that every child should be encouraged to develop. My daughter has the same gift.

Style academy

 I decided opening a fashion and style academy because I have always been an advocate of imparting skill.  It is to help young minds achieve their dreams. A young mind does not have any age limit. What we emphasise is the passion for fashion. Before I started this, we operated a fashion factory where we made and sold clothes to customers but in an environment where there are no jobs and where people have lost faith in the educational system and respect for the certificates, skill is very important to our young people.  We felt that we could do more for the society by training young people to make the clothes themselves. So far, we have graduated 50 students this year and we are grateful to God.

New generation of talents

In Nigeria, the younger generation is interested in developing skills. This set of people want to do it right. Nigerian youths are very talented but most of them do not know how or where to channel their talents. That is why I call on Nigerian adults, who have had the privilege of acquiring knowledge and training especially in the area of craft, not to hoard the knowledge but to impart them to the young ones. This country would be better if most of us are job creators instead of job seekers; if we stop consuming and channel our energy and resources into production.  Young people can increase their effectiveness and productivity if they are trained to develop the proper work place ethics and have respect for time.

 Marriage

I am married to William Jibodu. I have two kids. Managing a home with my schedules? Lectures are over before 3pm and I still have time to go home and take care of my husband and kids.

Favourite fashion accessory

I am not really into fashion accessories but I like shoes. No. I am not a label freak.

A woman's perfect fit

First, it's the body shape. Then, you design clothes to fit that shape. The right way to be a fashion designer is to know how to draw, make patterns and relate with your customers. A designer should be able to understand the temperament of her customers. If you do not understand your customers, you may not be able to get the job done. 

Challenges

Apart from infrastructural and power challenges, we have space constraint.   Our current student population is getting too big for the space we have and more students are calling for enrolment. If we intend to have 100 students per session, we need a bigger space to accommodate them.

Make-up as an art

I like it to be simple. I don't add too much on my face.

Fitness

I think my work is enough exercise for me because I am always talking all the time.

Leisure

If I was not doing this I would be a fine artist. I may have been a painter or artist because my training prepared me for art, not design.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...