Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Adebayor vows boycott over safety fears

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
Adebayor vows boycott over safety fears
Dec 24th 2012, 00:34

Tottenham forward Emmanuel Adebayor says he will not play for Togo in the Africa Cup of Nations unless his safety is assured.

The national side suffered a horrific attack at the competition in Angola in 2010 which left three people travelling on the team bus dead.

While some people have accused Adebayor of refusing to play due to unpaid bonuses, the Spurs star revealed he spends his own money to make sure other members of the national squad can travel to and from games.

“I am hearing people saying I do not want to go to the African Nations Cup because of unpaid bonuses,” he told The Sun.

“I do not need a bonus from Togo – it is 1,000 pounds per game. I would not refuse to play for my country over money.

“Sometimes I have to take responsibility and I have even helped pay bonuses.

“It is all about the organisation – or lack of it. There is only a five per cent chance I could go – I am not putting my life at risk.”

Memories of the 2010 attack are still painful for Adebayor, and he does not feel the Togolese Football Association have done enough to avoid similar events from unfolding at the 2013 showpiece in South Africa.

 

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...