Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fond memories, as The Guardian sends forth Anikulapo, Orere

Home
Guardian News
Fond memories, as The Guardian sends forth Anikulapo, Orere
Jan 22nd 2013, 00:00

Jahman-2-7'The Guardian should set up journalism school'

IT was a moment of banters, spiced with sober reflection, as The Guardian on Monday held a send-forth luncheon in honour of its former Sunday Editor, Mr. Jahman Oladejo Anikulapo, and Features Editor, Chief Onajomo Orere, both of whom recently disengaged from the newspaper company.

Present at the event were the Chairman and Publisher of The Guardian, Lady Maiden Alex-Ibru, the Chief Operating Officer (COO), Dr. Alexander Thomopulos, Executive Director, Mr. Toke Alex-Ibru, Editorial Consultant, Mr. Lade Bonuola. Others included the company's General Consultant, Mr. Yaya Awosanya, Managing Director, Mr. Emeka Izeze, Editor-in-Chief, Mr. Debo Adesina, and Editor of The Guardian, Mr. Martins Oloja, among others.

Speaking at the occasion, Lady Alex-Ibru described Anikulapo as a gentleman, an Omoluabi (a responsible person), a very productive man, who took his time to do things. She said: "I know Anikulapo very well. When he wanted to marry his German wife, he told me. When his wife put to bed he also told me about it."

Lady Alex-Ibru added that she was shocked when she heard that Anikulapo was going and queried almost rhetorically, "is there any problem?" and added: "He said it was time for him to move on. I also know that all along, his wife has been staying in Germany and it is not easy to have an absentee father."

The publisher added: "When you get to Germany, do a complete medical check-up. Stay in touch with the house. You celebrated your 50th birthday. We are not happy that you are leaving us, but we are celebrating what you have done. I say thank you."

On Orere, the publisher said he was a pioneer member of staff of The Guardian, adding: "He started in the Accounts Department of the Ibru Organisation before joining The Guardian after training as a journalist. Twenty-eight years after, the house you joined to build has produced many proud journalists. Take your rest as much as you can. You are still young, don't just retire to the village. We wish you the very best."

In his remarks, Izeze said he was happy that the publisher decided to honour Anikulapo and Orere for their unquantifiable contributions to the growth of The Guardian. He thanked the former editors for being proud associates of the newspaper.

In his speech, Orere expressed appreciation and gratitude to the management of The Guardian for offering him the opportunity to serve, saying: "I took the decision to resign after my birthday in July. I hinted my family and they said 'go ahead.'

"After I submitted my resignation letter, Izeze called me twice, urging me to change my mind. Besides, the Editor, Mr. Martins Oloja, asked me three times if I had changed my mind. Also, when the Editor-In-Chief, Mr. Debo Adesina, heard about it, he asked, 'have you seen the chairman?'

"Today is one of the happiest moments of my life. 10 years from now, I will like to see The Guardian as clean as when we started in 1983, so that I will be able to say to my child, 'I worked in The Guardian.' Hold the flag aloft, higher than ever. Let the flagship continue to sail ahead for others to follow."

Anikulapo also expressed gratitude to the chairman and management of The Guardian, saying: "I am very grateful and would like to thank you for being our mother. We see The Guardian as a family. The late publisher was my father. I remember when you called me, asking me why I wanted to leave. I will never forget Dr. Thomopulos, who was always talking to me on philosophy.

"January 1987 was the first time I stepped into The Guardian. I had told myself that this is where I would work. I met Mr. Bonuola, who was like a godfather to me; Mr. Awosanya, who called me 'my brother,' the managing director was my editor. He made me a flying editor.

"I have seen The Guardian as a family. I am not going to any newspaper. I was a trained actor and dancer. That is the area I am going back to. I remain a member of the family."

He stressed: "There is the need to train the incredible talents we have here. The Guardian should start The Guardian School of Journalism, where we would be training others in the unmatchable tradition for which The Guardian Newspapers are acclaimed worldwide."

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...