Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Saturday, June 1, 2013

I want to be a lawmaker — Baba Dee

The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
I want to be a lawmaker — Baba Dee
Jun 1st 2013, 23:00

Dare Fasasi is also known as Baba Dee.  The dancehall artiste talks about his genre of music and other sundry issues

You were away for a while, what have you been doing?

 I have released an album and sometimes, I still travel. I shoot the videos abroad and bring them to Nigeria.

Is it not more challenging to shoot videos abroad compared to what obtains in Nigeria?

I don't know really because everywhere has its own challenges and peculiar problems.   The problem of electricity is peculiar to Nigeria. Abroad, you don't have to bother about such things but there are   challenges too. For instance, it is not my homeland and I cannot function at full effect and I still have to worry about what is going on in my country.  But in all, I thank God that I have had the opportunity to travel to different places at different times.

Are you still shuttling between countries?

No. I am based in Nigeria. I am gunning for the Osun State House of Assembly seat.

Politics?  Are you not fulfilled in music?

I have been in politics for a while now. I am a youth leader and  I am trying to see how we can influence the lawmaking process to be in favour of the youth.

What is the age difference between you and your brother, Sound Sultan?

I don't know. We have a sister who is a lecturer.

Do you agree that he is more talented than you?

Yes, he is a better songwriter.

How was your childhood?

I was forcing Sound Sultan to do everything, forcing him to sing and perform, but right now, he is doing very well   and we thank God.

Did you also force him to have girlfriends?

No.  Nobody teaches another person how to do that.

Do you live together?

No. Everybody has his own house but he is my business partner and we are working on some television projects together. He is also working on a comedy project with Tuface which I am directing.

Tell us about the thrill of working in the music industry

There is no thrill. The moment you start losing guard, you now realise that there are other people wishing to do what you are already doing. So, you have to keep working and improving on yourself.

How would you define your personal style?

I believe style is what makes you happy. It is how you present yourself.   Though I don't go over the edge to be stylish, one can still see those extra things in my style that stand me out and make me different. I like to stand out in a crowd. I could decide to wear a diamond stud when attending some occasions.

Was that why you pierced your ears?

I did not do it in Nigeria. Ironically, I come from a place in Oyo State where men pierce their ears. My father has double piercing.

What is your style, A.M to P.M?

My style varies a lot because I am a businessman and I go out often.  Most Fridays, I am in a shirt and trousers. Sometimes, I still have to make appearances as Baba Dee. So I still have my jackets,   jeans and joggers on.

What is Baba Dee's trademark look?

I don't keep a trademark look. Someone said it is very hard to recognise me and that is deliberate.  I am a chameleon when it comes to dressing. I don't want people to see me from afar and just recognise me. People who have known me   for years don't recognise me most times until I walk up to them.  It is fun for me to be that way; I have been in this game long enough. I am not trying to get attention at all cost.  I believe that talent is what you need at the end of the day. That's  why my brother and I don't force it. I think we are organic in our approach; a lot of people say, in show business; you have to make all the noise. I don't believe that. I believe you can do your thing and still function underground; we are doing gigs outside Nigeria and it is on the low. It is all about making your money and nothing more.

Talking about making money, what is your net worth?

That is the last question I will answer. Unfortunately, it happens that in Nigeria, the hardship has crept so deep into our lives that money matters more than the value we place on human beings. It is just so sad. Money and material things should never be the criteria or the essence of value in any society. But due to the level of poverty in Nigeria, everyone wants recognition. That is why an artiste, who just bought a new car, would want it on the pages of newspapers. It is just so pathetic.  We cannot raise our kids that way because we will all suffer for it in the end. Let's celebrate virtues and not materialism.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...