Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Daily Independent Newspapers: Employers are unfair to the blind – Okon

Daily Independent Newspapers
...protecting the interest of Nigerians 
50% off Print Subscription of USA Today

Get the news delivered to your doorstep. Lock in the savings and receive USA Today for just $0.75 a day.
From our sponsors
Employers are unfair to the blind – Okon
Oct 30th 2013, 23:01, by daily Editor

For the National President of the National Association of the Blind (NAB), David Okon,  blindness is not a barrier to attaining great heights. One fascinating thing about him, is his level of intelligence, a graduate of Public Administration and Political science from the University of Lagos, Okon lost his sight when he was barely four years old to measles. He  currently heads the telephone section of the communication department of First Bank of Nigeria. Senior Reporter, Anthonia Soyingbe engaged him in a chat recently.

We understand you lost your sight at a very tender age. what happened?

Mr. David Okon

Mr. David Okon

I had measles which was treated but I discovered I couldn't see clearly thereafter and eventually I lost my sight completely.  It was during the civil war. There was no adequate medical attention because of the war, but they gave me the best attention. By the time the measles had gone, they discovered that it had affected my sight. It was not total blindness initially, but it degenerated until it became total blindness. It took a team of missionaries from Salvation Army who came to my village in 1975 to discover I may have totally lost my sight. After this incident, I remained with my parents for some years not knowing what to do. But my late father was bent on ensuring I was educated like every other child with the little resources he had. So the European missionaries advised my parents to let me go to a school in Lagos. They told them that I could still realize my dream of being educated. That was how I came to the Pacelli School for the Blind in Lagos. I left from there to Kings College, Lagos and then to the University of Lagos, where I did my first degree in Political Science and second degree in Public Administration.

How was growing up like for you?

Initially it wasn't very obvious because I could still play with children around me and there was no form of discrimination. But it became more noticeable when my peers were going to school despite the fact I desired to go to school. In the village primary school, I became the subject of ridicule by other children who did it out of ignorance and fun. At a point, the school authority advised my parents to withdraw me from school. I became bitter because every child around me was going to school. With that, I withdrew into myself. My late father employed every available means to ensure that I regained my sight but his efforts were not fruitful.

Is your wife also unsighted?

No.

Can you tell us how you met her?

I had lots of female friends during my university days and it would have been difficult for someone to arrange a wife for me. I had beautiful friends with beautiful character. She graduated from University of Nigeria. We met and we interacted, after an interesting conversation with her, I knew beyond doubt that she would be my wife but didn't tell her immediately. We were casual friends for a long time before I told her about my wish. Like every other woman, she said no and even advised me to go look for a wife elsewhere. Along the line, she saw reasons and decided to come my way. We have been married for 11 years and blessed with three children. We are very happy. I don't have any reason to complain, she is just wonderful.

Do you at times feel you would have achieved a lot more if you were sighted?

Sometimes I feel bad because there are lots of opportunities which are not available to blind persons. The first time I visited England was in 1998 and during my visit, I had to rush to a store to get some goods. I got what I wanted and a young lady who was later endeared to me walked up to me and said I was so smart. I was able to move swiftly on my own because amenities were provided by the government of that country. How I wish my country will also give me such opportunity? Here in Nigeria, I must look for somebody to take me to the bus-stop. Policy-makers don't sit down to think how to make things better for us here. Our government is not interested in us, they just waste resources on mundane things forgetting that we are also citizens of this country. If only my country can do better for me, I will be happier though blind.

Is there any kind of discrimination in your work place?

I won't speak for myself but I will speak for all blind persons because every blind person that is gainfully employed is either underutilized or is being discriminated against. Most employers believe it is far expensive to employ a blind person. There is also this thinking that when you allow a blind person to grow in the organization, it is more expensive. Some of them even think they have done you a very great favour by giving you a job and of a true when you look around the society; there are lots of educated blind persons who are jobless.

Aside the NAB, do you belong to any social organization?

In the last few years I hardly have time because of my commitments as NAB's president. Before now, I was a very depressed person but I decided to move out of my shell to embrace life. I was a member of Rotract Club and I intend to go back to Rotary Club.

You said some few moments ago that you take care of the financial responsibilities of many members of your extended family. Is it that you are more privileged than them?

I'm the first graduate in my father's house though the fifth child. I'm not bragging but I am saying all these to the glory of God who has deemed it fit to bring out the best in me even though blind. I still send money to people and have been supporting not just my immediate family but also my extended family. I pray God blesses me so I can do more for people. Life has taught me that you can achieve if you are determined and to put God behind your determination. There may be difficulties and obstacles, it might be slow but surely you will get there.

You have been to different places despite the fact that you are not sighted, how do you feel about this attainment?

My wife once reminded me that there are people who are like me but have not attained anything in life. Often times in life, we feel life is not kind to us but, if we can only move further, we will see that God has been so kind to us.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...