Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Nation:

The Nation
A news breaking website. Truth in Defence of Freedom
Jul 10th 2013, 23:12, by Dada Aladelokun, Assistant Editor

WHEN 50-year-old Princess Hadiza Ibrahim of Igalaland, Kogi State, contested for the People's Democratic Party (PDP) presidential ticket in 2011, she had a goal in mind.

She had wanted to be a flagship of women's involvement in efforts to re-create Nigeria, and put herself in a vantage position to reduce the scourge of unemployment and resultant insecurity that had long ravaged the nation and its people.

After a power-play, which, by her confession, startled her, she "conceded" the ticket to Jonathan because, according to her, "I saw in him, the spirit, the will and the honesty desired to move the nation out of the doldrums."

"Though a woman, I had dependable followership across the country, especially being a successful business woman and politician. At a point, I said I would support him (Jonathan). I thank God he got there," Princess Ibrahim told The Nation.

However, two years into the Jonathan Administration, she is incensed. Some people have not allowed the man she made concession to, the room to serve creditably. The chairman of her cherished party, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, has been running it like an overlord.

"Across the nation today, people heap blames on Jonathan over many things that have gone wrong. But I laugh because the man is somewhat helpless. I pity him because he is surrounded by his enemies and the real foes of the nation … sycophants and hypocrites. He means well for Nigeria, but I'm doubly sure that he is handicapped. I pity the good man. Nigerians can only step up prayers for him and the country," she said.

On the President's wife, Patience, the Princess said: "She too is a good woman. I admire her because she has tried well to get women more involved in governance. We can see the number of women in top positions in both executive and legislative capacities across the country. The First Lady has given a good account of herself. However, there have been cases where she should have shown her stuff better. Look at the president's recent face-off with Rotimi Amaechi. I expect her to have sat her husband down and tell her the truth; that he should have no cause fighting him over anything."

Recalling her journey into contesting for the Presidency in 2007 and how she "lost out in the power play," Hadiza said: "Up till the moment I enrolled for my Master in the University of Lagos in 1995, three years after my first degree in Mass Communication from the institution, it never dawned on me to contest. But at a point, I felt some pressure from several unemployed Nigerians who daily ran to me for help.

"At that point, it occurred to me that I would be in a better position to help them out if I found myself in the presidency. That was why in 2007, I threw my hat in the ring alongside Okorocha and others. It had nothing to do with making more money because by then, I had made it big in business."

Recalling what led to her ouster in the contest: "I appeared at a screening panel that had the like of Senator Ahmadu Ali, who was my father's friend. In fact, he took my delivery. I think the last question they threw at me did the havoc of blocking my chance. They asked me, "If we give you this ticket, how will you get the money to win the election?" I answered that if somebody could come out of prison and win an election, why couldn't me? Joseph Wayas laughed.

"Out of the session, someone told me that I would

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...