Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Saturday, July 6, 2013

I dread paid jobs –– Musa

Changes are afoot at Blogtrottr!
By popular request, we're bringing in paid plans with some cool new features (and more on the way). You can read all about it in our blog post.
The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Breaking News, information and opinion in Nigeria
I dread paid jobs –– Musa
Jul 6th 2013, 23:00, by omosco

The founder of Unique Beauty Planet, 28-year-old Ahmed Musa, says his mission is to excel in a female dominated field. He spoke to MOTUNRAYO JOEL

 What do you do at Unique Beauty Planet?

I make hair such as fixing weave-ons (bonding or sewing), braiding and twisting, artificial dread, fixing of eyelashes, fixing of nails, pedicure and manicure, bridal make up and bridal hair. Simply, by what we do, they call me a beautician.

When did you start this work?

 I started over two years ago, working as a stylist around some salons when I was in Sokoto. It was during my National Youth Service in the state.

What did you study in school?

I studied Secretarial Administration at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta in Ogun State.

What were you doing before you started?

 I was just a student. I was about to graduate from the institution. I just knew within me that I didn't want to be among the hundreds of unemployed graduates. So I thought the best way to overcome this fear was to start my business early.

What challenges do you on the job?

So many challenges but I've been able to remain strong in what I love doing.

I remember that when I was learning this work it was quite embarrassing. For instance, I had bosses who were younger than me ordering me around to do one thing or the other. And I couldn't say no to them. Others challenges I encountered were with customers that would look down on me as I wasn't fit for the job. It took sometime before I was given the opportunity to style a customer's hair.

And later when I had just set up my own business, some people would come around to just for the fun of it. I had clients who felt they know my job better than I do. For instance, some of them would not tell you how they want their hair to be fixed from the start until when you are done. Others would mention the wrong style and expect you to know what was on their mind. Often times, I might have gone half way before some would realise that they had given a wrong style. There were many challenges.

How have you been able to forge ahead?

I have managed to overcome most of these difficulties with the wisdom of God, with my years of experience on the job. But it has not been easy. Managing the situation is sometimes more difficult when I had to put my customers first and adopt the principle that "customers are always right".

Did you parents support your decision to be in makeup business?

Well, I took up this decision on my own. And to let you know, I'm an orphan.

Do you think you are better off than people working in offices?

I wouldn't say I am. I have never for once wished I had a white collar job because I so much enjoy what I am doing. Another thing is that when I remember that by working for somebody, you can get fired at any time, I dead paid job. Being self-employed is the best that can happen to a young enterprising person.

How do people react when you tell them you are a beautician?

Some people actually see me as a determined person and they love what I am doing. My friends never stop being jealous about my work, especially my male friends. And being a man, my female friends also envy me too.

How do you feel as a man in female dominated job?

Being a man who is into the work of beauty has been wonderful. I have encountered some ladies who actually do not like men touching their hair or some other parts of their head. This is one challenge I face on a daily basis.

Another thing is the fact that I always have ladies around me but I have to be diplomatic so that I don't get into trouble with them. I have been mingling with women from the early stages of my life. I was a member of the cultural group during my primary and secondary school days. And I mingled more with girls than boys. I also studied a course which has more females than male. So, it's no surprise that I am now doing what many consider a woman's job.

Who are your major clients?

My clients are of course mainly women, but leisurely I barb men's hair and some men also come for pedicure and manicure. Men patronise me occasionally.

What really attracted you into the job?

I had always wanted to make women look beautiful. When I was young, I had always liked to do something with my sister's hair and make her up too. Each time I did that, I felt happy when people complemented her look and I think that must have been the motivation that drove me into becoming a beautician. I had the flare and that was what just spurred me on.

Do you think the beauty industry is really competitive?

Yes, it is very competitive, especially in Lagos where every little space provides an opportunity for any beautician to occupy. Those that could not afford a studio would use the frontage of their houses or their rooms. This competition really makes those of us that are corporate beauticians to explore more to meet up with today's beauty and styles. It has also made people like me stand out among others.

What do you do to retain your customers in the face of competition?

I would simply say my ability to relate well with them, smile and joke with them and by also giving them customer-friendly charges. Sometimes, I entertain them with some dance steps but not while I am working. I have a pleasant voice too and they sometimes say I talk like a woman. But really everything put together has given me an edge over many competitors because there is never a dull moment with me.

What is your future plan for the business?

By the grace of God Almighty I see my company becoming a strong force to be reckoned with in Nigeria and stand tall above other beauty outfits already in the limelight.

What is your advice for young people looking for jobs?

My advice to other young people is to get busy with a trade or profession that will make them self-employed. This is one area I have always loved to talk about. I have always heard this saying that "don't think of what Nigeria would do for you but think of what you would do for yourself." I thought of what I would become when I finished my National Youth Service that is why I am here today, not depending on my certificate. That may not immediately bring food to the table and take care of other financial needs.

Even from the NYSC level, you can become an entrepreneur. For those who have no educational qualification or failed to finish or graduate from school, don't become a burden on others, get yourself busy with a vocational job that would make you self-reliant. That way, you wouldn't walk aimlessly on the street.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...