Search Blog / Web

Custom Search

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nollywood Actress Ayo Adesanya - I Am Ready For Marriage

Joisays... What do you Say???
Real Life Experiences, Lifestyle, Wonders of the Earth, Inspirations, Gossips, Quotes, etc
Nollywood Actress Ayo Adesanya - I Am Ready For Marriage
Sep 2nd 2012, 18:44


















It is ok o, and I wish you all the best this time around.

Ayo Adesanya has come a long way in the Nigerian movie industry, otherwise known as Nollywood. She started from English movies and television dramas before pitching her tents with the Yoruha genre. The beautiful mother of one is also a producer and a stage actress. The University of lbadan graduate recently spoke with BAYO ADEOYE on her career, life and failed marriage. Enjoy it.

You are doing well for yourself, and you seem to have moved on since you split with your hubby.
I give it to God. He has been very good to me. And of course my fans, they are wonderful. It is their support and positive feedback that have kept me going. I have my life, and if you have your life, you just have to move on. So I moved on with my life.

While it lasted, both of you were quite an eye full. How tough was it for you to decide to quit the union?
(Laughter) It took me like forever. Sincerely, when I was in the union, I wanted to explore all avenues to make it work. I didn't want to come out and start regretting. I wanted to check if there was really anything for me in it. But for eight years, I watched and kept hoping that there would be a change. But when I realised that I was losing a lot, not materially though; but my dignity, my health and... you see, I was draining by the day. I love acting; it is one ofmy passions. But I wasn't getting that. So it got to a point that I needed to take a decision, and that was the point that I quit the union.

I have observed that unions between artistes, especially actors and actresses, don't last. What do you think is responsible for this?
I have thought about this issue myself, but I couldn't really pinpoint a particular reason. But to the best ofmy knowledge, I think it is because both parties are into the same profession.

Some people have said that the marriages break down because of the false life styles of the actresses. How do you view this?
It largely depends on the individual actress. I believe you can be an actress and still live your own life. But if you want to life a false life style because you feel you are star, then you may have yourself to blame. I think the problem with artistes marrying each other is because of the job. As an artiste, you don't have your own time because you are always moving from one location to the other. Sometimes, you sleep out. If there is no trust in such a union, there will be problem.

And men, being what they are, they may begin to suspect their wives of all sorts of things. For the woman, it is her duty to try to make the marriage work. You make sure that you let him know what you are doing and where you are. You nave to make sure that he is aware of your whereabouts at all times. But sincerely, some men cannot handle fame. Especially when they realise that their spouse is getting more successful than them. They become jealous of the wife and before you know it, he has become another thing. But I believe that both parties should be able to share in the successes of each other. That way, they will be happy and work for the success of each other.

It's been four years since you quit your marriage. Any plan for another?
I'm already in another relationship.

So it may lead to another marriage?
If it comes, then fine.

Are you scared in any way, I mean because of your last experience?
I am mature in matters like this. I should not be scared at all. I looked very well before I came into this relationship. I also prayed to God before I went into it, and I actually looked very well before leaping into another relationship. Though I am not saying that everything willbe perfect, but God has been very good to me.

So it may end in marriage?
Yes, probably. Let's wait and see.

Your last marriage lasted eight years, which were indeed eight years of your adult life. What would you say you lost in those eight years?
I lost a lot, especially my work. And this was one of the major reasons I left. At a point, I looked back and realised that  I  was  really  lagging  behind, especially when you compare me with those I started the profession with. A lot of things have happened, and even those who came into the industry years after, have left me behind. I realised that they have blossomed and gone ahead of me.

This happens when I watch television and I see some of my colleagues. At such times, I was like 'girl, what are you doing wasting away?' I lost a lot in those eight years. However, in the few years that I have come back to the mainstream, I have recovered most of those things that I lost. I thank God when I realise that I am still relevant. I am sure I am beginning to recover those things that I lost.

I'm sure that you couldn't have lost everything to the union. What would you say you gained in those eight years?
My son of course! Yes, I think he is the one thing that I took away from the relationship.

I think you are now a bit on the plump side. Is this deliberate?
I think so too. I've observed that I am putting on weight. Maybe it's because 'm chopping life. But it's not that I love it this way, and I am actually working at it, trying to control it.

Your last movie, 'Amope Alasela' seems to have done very well. How tough was it producing the movie?
I really thank God for that. I have received positive comments and reviews about the movie, and they have continued to come in. The other day, I was in a bank, and a woman came up to me and gave me a peck. She was like, 'oh, that movie was great.' I really thank God for all these. I realised how much people have fallen in love with the movie. It was particularly tough for me to play a dual role, one a young housewife, and the other, an old mother-in-law. She is a very funny character who walks in a funny way.

Switching the roles was tough and very tasking. One particular incident happened when we were shooting. Something happened to the camera and we didn't Know for two days. We had completed shooting for two days before realising that the camera only recorded the picture, but had no audio. Even to break the news to me was a tough one. I believe they thought that I might faint or something if I was told. But eventually, they told me, and we had to go back and take the scenes all over.

Another challenge was the rain. We had several outdoor scenes that we could not shoot for days, waiting and praying that the downpour wouldstop. All these were very challenging. But now that people begin topraise me, I just smile and praise God for His mercies.

How did your acting career start?
I actually didn't plan to act. I went for a job interview at AIT. I wanted to be a presenter. But while we were waiting, everybody started talking. And there was this guy, his name is Ifeanyi, he started talking about auditioning and all that. At a point, I got interested in the discussion, and I told him so. But it was a month later before the guy showed up in our house. We went to Zeb Ejiro s office.

It was the time he was casting for his movie, 'Mortal Inheritance, you know Omotola Jalade played the lead in the movie. I was fiven a script to read. I think I must ave performed very funny because everybody laughed. I was eventually given a minor role (waka pass). That same day, we went to Opa Williams' office. I was also given a script to read, after which I was asked to come back. When I went back the following week, I did one minor role. And they gave me N3000 just like that! I was like 'oh my God. Is it this easy to make money?' Then I got the lead role in my next movie, entitled 'Dry Leaves'.

It was also produced by Opa Williams. In 1997,1 took part in 'Out of Bounds', a film by Richard Mofe-Damijo. You see, I was not meant to play the role. But the lady cast for the role failed to turn up, and I was called on to take her place. The role they gave me was so challenging, and I thought let me just do what I had to do. It was a scene of a woman who tried to commit suicide.

I observed that while I did it, everybody just kept mute and didn't say anything. That was how I got the role. But you see, the funny thing about that job was that I had auditioned for about two or three other roles in the same movie, but I was not given any of them. But I think God had a surprise for me, which was why the lady that was supposed to play the role failed to show up. It was a major role that got me a nomination, alongside Bimbo Akintola. I also did 'Most Wanted', which featured Liz Benson. I went on to television soap when I featured in that popular soap, 'Palace'.

At what point did you cross over to the Yoruba genre?
My first Yoruba movie was Iru Oka. It featured Ramsey Noah, Shola Shobowale, Jide Kosoko and others. It was an experiment for me, and it worked out well.

How easy was it crossing over from the English language genre to Yoruba language?
It was easy for me. It was just like doing the English movies, except for the proverbs which you have to use correctly. You know that you have to know the proverbs and now to use them correctly. But for me, I speak Yoruba very well. So I didn't really have any problem doing a Yoruba language movie.

What's your education like?
Well, I didn't go beyond the university. I read Communication and Language Art at the University of Ibadan. I did my secondary school at Saint Annes, also in Ibadan.

You grew up in Ibadan. How did this impact on you.
I can say it impacted positively on me in the way I speak the Yoruba language.

And Deing a graduate, would you say this has set you out from the crowd in the industry?
Yes, it definitely has. Education is a total package. It is an added advantage for you, and it makes you relevant at all times. You'll do a lot of things with education because it gives you the advantage to do things which ordinarily, you wouldn't be able to do. For example, sometimes in Yoruba movies, you may need to play roles that will demand that you speak both English and Yoruba languages. Being educated surely gives you the advantage to switch between both languages.

How do you handle fame?
I don't allow fame to get into my head. If you know me well enough, then you'll know that I'm the type that doesn't allow such stuffs to bother me. I do my things my normal way, and it has always worked for me. I know that if I start thinking or believing that I am in a different world, then I might start having problems. Some of my friends actually call me old woman because they believe that I behave like an old woman. But the truth is that I still hold onto some values, and I try very hard not to lose them. These are values that I live by so that I won't derail. I do my work and think about how to diversify.

What is the nastiest role you have ever played?
You see, I try to avoid nasty roles. I try to avoid them. I did a movie, entitled Alayonbere. But you see, after I finished reading the script, I was like 'what kind of person is this character?' This was because the character ended up sleeping with almost everybody in the neighbourhood. But I love challenges. I try to do challenging stuffs iff want to work.

Would you reject a script?
Sure! I have rejected scripts I found too unpleasant. I rejected one and I called the writer, and told him he couldn't possibly shoot the way he wrote the script. 1 believe it is only an actress that is desperately in search of fame that would take such roles.

How do you handle your male admirers?
I have people who appreciate me. And of course, I also have toasters. But they don't botner me in any way. I once did a radio programme, and the presenter gave out my phone number. It was serious, because men bombarded me with calls. But I have my own way of warding them off in a very polite manner.

We've had talks about producers demanding sex from up and coming girls. What kind of experience did you have?
God has always been with me. But in my own case, it has been a miracle. Though actresses have told me that so and so person wanted to do something with them, but it has never happened to me. I am not saying I didn't have toasters as an up and coming actress. As a matter of fact, they were so many. But I got my roles on merit, and not because anybody had to date you or sleep with you. For me, it was like you finish your job, and the producer or director asks you out. Mine was like that and not the other way round. My belief is that you have to show the world what you have and the role will come.

I'm sure your new man is not an artiste...
Never! He can never be an artiste. I can't date in my industry anymore. Never! For balance, you have to go out of the industry to date. For any man to date an actress, he must be mature. There are no two ways to it. The relationship cannot last if the man is not mature.

What is your advice to up and coming actresses?
I have said this several times, the firls need to be patient. There is this ind of race to become a celebrity. Yes, it is good for you to be ambitious. But you need to take your time and gradually step into stardom. It is the only way you can remain at the top. They need to learn, listen and acquire knowledge.

What is your family like?
I grew up with what you'll call a silver spoon. My father was rich, but we lost him early in life. We are from Ijebu-Ode in Ogun State. I am the first of three children.

Culled from Compass Newspapers

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...